Skip to main navigation.

History

Welcome to SEMO Electric Cooperative. Serving Members Since 1938!

 

1938 in Mississippi County in Southeast Missouri, a group of farmers came together to form a cooperative to meet the electrical needs of the rural areas. This small band of forward thinking farmers and area business men received help from the newly formed Rural Electrification Administration. The Cooperative was formerly incorporated in January of 1938 and the first lines were energized that summer.

The Cooperative continued to grow through the years from originally serving the counties of Scott, New Madrid, and Mississippi, to include the counties of Stoddard, Bollinger and Cape Girardeau. SEMO Electrics service area is 75 miles from north to south and east to west. From its humble beginnings of a few lights on a farm homestead, SEMO Electric has expanded to serve an agricultural base and also industrial and residential needs. From large mining processing plants, motels, restaurants and small towns, SEMO Electric has grown to provide quality electrical services to its member-owners.

The power distributed by SEMO Electric Cooperative is received from Associated Electric Cooperative located in Springfield, Missouri with power production plants in New Madrid, Clifton Hill, Glennonville, Shamois, Unionville, Essex and Vanita, Oklahoma. SEMO Electric Cooperative is one of the 50 distribution co-ops that are served as part of the Associated Electric Cooperative family with transmission services provided by M & A Power Cooperative in Poplar Bluff, Missouri.

SEMO Electric's purpose is to provide quality electrical service to our members at an economical price. We continue to strive to serve and meet the needs of our member-owners in every possible way.

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo